Stumbleina

Traumas, Tribulations, Travels and Tomfoolery Down Under

Monday, June 27, 2005

Conditioning

Recently there has been an American visitor to my school who's on an exchange visit. It's his first time in Japan and he came here on a bit of a whim I think (read:he knew nothing about the place before he came.) This encounter has lead me to realise how used to this place I am. Not only does he find everything exciting/weird/puzzling but he has me inwardly screaming with mortification at least 10 times a day. Heinous japanese social atrocities include:
-sitting on a desk in class even after I told him its a bit frowned upon
-haveing his hands in his pockets ON STAGE making a speech
-leaning back on his chair so noone can get past him in the staff room
-leaving his lunch tray on the desk and not putting the bowls back ect
It's quite ridiculous how appauled I am at these actions that wouldn't really be anything too rude back home. It really made me re-realise how considerate and group aware japanese people are. And me more so now hopefully. Also that theres a certain way to communicate with Japanese students that doesnt involve any degree of natural speech ("you guys/and stuff" leave them baffled)
This place is a bubble, you forget that the rest of the world ticks by without RULES. Rules control the fun don't you know. Note to self:anarchy can be resumed when arriving back in Blighty. I may even blow my nose in public. That'll show em.

1 Comments:

At 6:54 pm, Blogger Cinnacism said...

How interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home