Stumbleina

Traumas, Tribulations, Travels and Tomfoolery Down Under

Friday, June 10, 2005

A Question of Taste...

I've been itching to post a big enthusiastic blog about all the various music I'm listening to at the moment-which bands I'm burningly enthusiastic about, which are accessable, which remind me of others ectect. However, the glazed eyes and "here she goes again" rolls of eyes I often recieve when eventalking about this stuff discourages me.
And it all boils down to a question of taste really. Ever sincecertain members of the ken decided to put together a CD compilation of songs they knew I hated to play at a party I have realised I am more than a little discriminating in my music taste. But who really has any right to proclaim whats good and bad? If taste is purely responsive to the individual then surely we're all getting an utterly personal impression of the same song anyway. We can't help but link lyrics and beats and moods from music to our own lives and personalities. For example, The Ordinary Boys are a post-mod Weller-influenced ska/indie band but they remind me of Japan because it was the first CD I bought when I arrived here. But I still listen and take heed to Johnny Cigarettes when he calls it a "....dizzying injection of youth."
With subjects like food and medicine you listen to experts because they know more about it all than you do. But I'm yet to decide if more musical knowledge makes you more qualified to judge. After all whilst most people love Robbie Williams whilst I find the need to rip my eyelashes out if I hear anything that resembles "Angels." So whose coming out better here? If they go home with a huge sense of well being from his croonings and I go home with bloody eyes then maybe my extensive knowledge of New Wave isn't doing me any favours.
And then you can always subscibe to the school of thought that the artist holds all the power to put any kind of meaning into their work. But as soon as its made public it doesn't belong to them anymore. "There She Goes" by the Las is about heroin but most people think its a lovely love song. I hate it when people don't stick up for their own tastes. "oh I like Kylie and all that crap." Is it really crap to you? Or do you just feel like I think its crap (which I do) and therefore are too lazy to think of your own justifications?
Whichever way you look at it taste is something you can't deny. Its yours so own it.

"Good taste is the excuse I have given for leading such a bad life." Wilde

But Keane are shit. I'm not going back on that one.

7 Comments:

At 12:40 pm, Blogger Victoria said...

Hey Kat-
I don:t have your email so I:m posting here....what are you up to this weekend? It:s supposed to be miserable and rainy, wanna hang?
-Vic

 
At 1:28 pm, Blogger Kat said...

haha thanks Gillian, I'd wholeheartedly reccomend the new Hot Hot Heat album, Arcade Fire, Interpol, Dogs Die in Hot Cars, Kaiser Chiefs and Bravery. Thank you and goodnight.

 
At 2:41 pm, Blogger Lauren said...

Well I'm ok then, cos I make no excuses for loving Robbie Williams to bits! Have listened to about half of the recent mix cd..and so far there are songs i like, and songs i don't. But that's ok. If we all liked the same we'd be boring! And at least I'm willing to try /listen to new things. Great blog Kat!

 
At 12:33 am, Blogger Cinnacism said...

Hey guys, Kat likes Richard Marx. And I definitely wouldn't know this as a result of my having some Richard Marx songs on my computer and her finding them and admitting to liking him too. No way. That is certainly not what happened on a fateful Saturday in Iwakuni.

Moral of the story: Kat likes Richard Marx!

 
At 9:38 pm, Blogger Chris said...

oh, i"m so ahead of you - I saw Arcade fire in a room the size of 8 tatamis where evberyone sat on the floor like it was story time in kindergartne. Didn"t like them that time, but they were great the next time!
Who else?

 
At 9:39 pm, Blogger Chris said...

OMG, that post as chris was actually me, Gillian, but i"m on my friends computer and I guess its signed in as him! Gomen!

 
At 12:24 pm, Blogger Kat said...

I'm also loving the tears, nine black alps, magic numbers, the duke spirit and the new Queens of the Stone Age album. hope this is of some service, Gillian.
And Angela-yes i like Richard Marx cos it reminds me of my school choir days (eh sam!) and not for any toher reasons honest...i feel i aslo have to admit to liking unfashionable stuff like good charlotte and busted (cringe)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home