Stumbleina

Traumas, Tribulations, Travels and Tomfoolery Down Under

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Welcome To The Jungle...

As my hazy memory serves me, this time last year when myself and lots of all the other 2004 newbies went to the first orientation we were all in differing states of exhaustion, jet lag and bewilderment. The veterans seemed like ace people wiling to help us out that already had strong friendships. There were some gossiping, some ill advised couplings and a lot of fun and laughs.
However this years orientation was fucking MADNESS.
There seemed to be about 100 new people and about 5 second years. I couldn't help but thinking that sometimes our advice mignt have come across as alienating or condescending. The first afternoon was normal enough but the meal and night out on Thursday was probably the maddest night I've experienced in Japan. And not necessarily in a a good way. The good news is that the people in my area are totally sound. Ross seems to have the ability to drink and grin through anything, Keith is a top laugh and a valuable source of me remembering my real accent, Tammy is always entertaining and a Karaoke demon. However there's a few people who definitely made a name for themselves that night by being absolutely pissed out of their faces. I'm talking chugging beer repeatability stumbling puking drunk at like 8 o clock. As Sarah said, "I thought you liked to party and drink before this!" It was kind of odd. Tori had nothing on these lushes. Flashback to first year of uni. I'm sure things will calm down in time and people will mesh together but the night ended up being quite all over the place. I found myself turning the karaoke music down to shout "Please be careful, there's broken glass on the floor and you have bare feet!" Shut it grandma....
Of course first impressions aren't always to be trusted. I did get to chat to a few people who seemed fab-Hannah, Jen, Mark, Meagan and a few others whose name tags I didn't read...Another thing was that I noticed some of them came away with a real buzz and excitement for their life in Japan with regard to befriending j-peeps, traveling and trying all the crazy food. It was my sad realisation that although these things can be done now for them, they can't be done with real ease and enjoyment until you've been here a while and have a good feel for the place and the language. Also whilst I'm happy to help people out I'm looking forward to the point where I stop becoming advisor/helper/translator and just become friend. The first year really is a year of learning and trying and settling. If only we could all start the program as second years....

6 Comments:

At 5:07 pm, Blogger Dan said...

Great to have some perspective on these things. There are a couple of newbies that are going to feel my wrath though. Overall though, there are many great newbies and I will write about it on my blog when I get home to NZ.

Miss ya,

Dan

 
At 3:55 am, Blogger Cinnacism said...

Fascinating stuff! Wish I could hear more from you in person.

 
At 1:14 pm, Blogger Big Poppa said...

As one of those newbies, I actually quite enjoyed myself, despite the broken glass and the antics... I suppose we just a little more rowdy than the previous years` crowd. I was a bit shocked, however, to hear about a couple people sleeping in the park that night. In any case, I believe the orientation itself was a resounding success! Good job, veterans, on giving some very informative talks!

 
At 3:21 pm, Blogger . said...

as one of the noobs that will no doubt feel the wrath of dan.

i had fucking amazingly fun time. I was and am still really really excited about being here. the party was great. it bought many fantastic uni exchange memories crashing back to me. I am really chuffed to be back in my own ken again. I can`t wait to face the challenges head on and at full bore and then enjoy the good easy times too.

Thanks for watching out for us re: the broken glass.

I@m looking forward to getting to know a lot of you because of what I@ve read before on various blogs, the random help via BD and from what I encountered at orientation. I found orientation to be really helpful and informative and those who gave presentations seemed to have their heads screwed on right.
Sorry if my first post on stirling`s blog was a lil OTT. I was just a lil upset as I came away from orientation in a really great mood and frame of mind and was surprised by the sentiment of some. :)

 
At 5:01 pm, Blogger Kat said...

goongirl-sorry if i sound like a bitch...its cool that you're up for making the most of time here. As Gillian said, a lot of us are still reeling from our good friends leaving...looking forward to meeting everyone again!

 
At 9:17 am, Blogger . said...

mate,
i never said that you were a bitch. its great that you were all tight. But we are feeling the same thing in reverse. I miss my mates that I can talk to in short hand and who get me without me having to explain myself. I know that will happen with time here with you guys and with the locals. Its gonna be a great ride!
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home