Stumbleina

Traumas, Tribulations, Travels and Tomfoolery Down Under

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Usagi Humiliation and other stories...

So after my winging and huffing about having to go into school on Sunday for Sports Day I actually had a great time! It was a relatively cloudy day (although I still managed to got burnt!!!) and the kids were all totally pumped and beaming at the prospect of cheering, running, and partaking in a bit of gladiator style ultra-violence. (ie those weird pole games and shoulder wrestling. How I love the disregard for safety in this country!) Even though the temptation to sit on my arse and doze off was strong i actually made myself mill around chatting and cheering with the students an even partook in the super competative parent teacher tug of war...then came the teachers event which I could have escaped doing but foolishly didn't.
The point of this game seemed to be to make the teachers look as ridiculous as possible. We had to don weird wigs/masks (from the 100yen of course)and I ended up wearing a spangly pair of rabbit ears which had all the ichi-nenseis cooing "kawaii" at me even more than usual. Anyway I had to be partners with the office scebe (perv) who has about 3 teeth and a permenant vacant grin. The game involved scrambling under a mesh net then running around a baseball bat 5 times so when we were good and dusty/nausious he had to catapult a ball from a see saw that I was somehow suppost to catch in a basket attached to my back. To say that I struggled with this is somewhat of an understatement. I could hear the commentator going "kyasarin sensei oshi!" and thinking it was was never anywhere near close! The other teams seemed to manage it in 5 or 6 goes... In the end the PE teacher took pity on me and threw it into the basket for me.
This is in front of the entire school their families. If only I was blessed with co-ordination.
Anyway that night at the enkai (which I also contemplated skipping but actually ended up getting wasted at and singing smap into the early hours at karaoke) I was totally ripped the piss out of by a lot of my co-workers and the students parents...this actually made me aware that a)they feel comfertable enough to rib me and b) that my japanese has vastly improved if I can understand when I'm being made fun of! I remember at last years event being a total wide eyed bystander and being totally lost in the japanese at the enkai...I've come a long way, baby:)

2 Comments:

At 10:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:27 pm, Blogger Cinnacism said...

Wow, indeed you have. Way to go!

(And thanks for the Lips song)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home