Stumbleina

Traumas, Tribulations, Travels and Tomfoolery Down Under

Monday, December 19, 2005

Merry Crimbo



Christmas! And what better than a religious holiday than an excuse for frenzied consumerism! Its a bit odd that more people know who the Spice Girls are than Jesus (and they were't even that popular here) but when I think about it, no one really gives a mincepie about the propher meaning of Christmas back home either. For most Brits it means we-hey a few days off and a bloody good excuse to get hammered and stuff your face even more than usual. For most Japanese people this is not the case but the shops are aglow with surreal "Santa-san" tacky crap. (My local, Gotcha, even has a tree that sings Xmas songs. Cringe.) But I'll take off my cynical hat for a moment and say that a bit of "good will to all" type philisophy should be welcomed...even if it does ensue chocking on your kebab flavoured vomit in the back of a police van for most xmas partiers:P
I'm off home on Wednesday and, as I assured my pal Sam on the phone last night, I plan to milk Britain till its nipples are red raw. But the mini festivities in Japan have been much fun this year- impromptu gatherings at Hannah's and mine, singing Wham and Wizzard at karaoke, some very dodgy dancing and pass the parcel at the Ajet Formal, blinding lights in Tokuyama, making xmas cards with my students (some classics included "Dont eat to much cake!" with a picture os santa vomiting blood and "have kangaroo peace" (?) Brilliant. Tis the season to indulge!

7 Comments:

At 10:59 am, Blogger Lauren said...

Merry Christmas mate! Have a fabbbbby time at home, and have eat some turkey and stuffing for me! See you in Jan!...p.s Have a great birthday too! :)

 
At 4:37 pm, Blogger Turning Japanese said...

Hey there... Have fun at home.
The Japanese word for 'think' is very close to the pronunciation of kangaroo.. I wonder if that was the meaning they were going for?

 
At 3:29 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah...I'm preparing manc for our red raw festivities!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 12:20 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

merry xmas...at the airport now...lots of hours to kill...take advantage of old blighty;) ah when americans use british slang!!

 
At 8:19 am, Blogger Turning Japanese said...

Well I have missed you now. I think you are at the airport as I write this (I am at school). Sorry I didn't get to see you for a proper Merry Christmas. Here is a blog season greeting. Thanks for being there for my throughout last week in regard to my Nan. Hugs and well wishes meant a lot. See you in January to swap war stories.

 
At 10:18 am, Blogger J-girl said...

Hope you have a fantastic visit home. :)

 
At 10:24 am, Blogger . said...

It was fantastic seeing you last night. Have a good trip back to the old dart. empty the drinks cart for me! See you when I get back! Have a tops Chirssy and a brilliant New Year!!! xx oo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home