Stumbleina

Traumas, Tribulations, Travels and Tomfoolery Down Under

Friday, January 13, 2006

Xmas in Igirisu...Part 1. Hong Kong.



One unexpected highlight of my xmas hol was a 9 hour stopover in Hong Kong, enabling me to meet up with one of my bestest uni pals, the fabulous Nat. Lousie, Becky, Simon (randon English private teacher we met on the plane from Kokura) and I did some hasty sightseeing, beer drinking and Thai food consuming which was much fun! Within minutes, our group consisting of Nat's pals and the Japan-homewardbound lot were chatting and drinking together with ease-it was obvious we were all used to meeting new people and befreinding them easily with the right questions (tell me what you're up to now in under two minutes please) and actions (lets have another beer!)This is a extremely valuable skill of living abroad/traveling, I feel. A few of my pals back home would find it hard despite being lovely freindly people. I probably would have before I went off to Uni.
Although I have visited Nat in HK before (for 2 weeks in 2002) the fast pace, international feel and bright lights of the place hit me afresh after Japan. If I lived in Hong Kong I would surely be skint (loads of good markets) two stone heavier (amazing selection of food-and cheap!) and permanently pissed (drinks offers galore!) However, the place is, to an extent i feel one part China and 9 parts rich Westerner's playground. Most people there don't know the language (hell they don't need to-the native's English is amazing) and there appears to be more Marks and Spencers than Shrines...Much as this is appealing and I do miss my home comforts on JET, I'm glad Japan isn't like this.
This is not to say that HK isn't brilliant-the party atmosphere, for one thing is intoxicating-we had to leave at 9ish on a Tuesday night and the place was thriving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home