Stumbleina

Traumas, Tribulations, Travels and Tomfoolery Down Under

Friday, January 13, 2006

Xmas in Igirisu...Part 3. Antics.












So what did I actually DO for two weeks-well here it is in a nutshell:
Watched football, (freezing, great pies, 2-1 yea)went shopping, (several times, not as fun as anticipated-Jan Sales make people mental) went to pubs and clubs, several restaurants, (pizza, curry x2, Italian, pub lunch x2, Spanish)visited relatives,played cards and monopoly and dance mat games with pals, went to the cinema (x2-King Kong which is CGI-ariffic and stonking and The Producers which was a bit pants) and saw a live band (yosh!).
My jet lag wasnt too bad (despite having to go to bed at 7pm on xmas day although I think that was partly due to the amount of champagne consumed) so i managed to go out pretty much every night. I had forgotten how threatening home can sometimes be-guess I've got used to the safeness of Japan. There seemed to be more scallies scowling at people in a "I'll kick you head in if you look at me funny" kind of way. My anticipated joy in understanding everything around me was squashed as i realised its a kind of curse...ignorance is bliss sometimes here and no-one wants to hear a half cut young mother screaming "shut the f#ck up or I'll bloody belt ya" at her 3 year old in the shopping centre at 11am.
Seeing my family and mates was, of course, the best thing about being home. Surprisingly me and my ma managed to no row EVEN ONCE in the whole time I was there! Those of you who know our tendency turn each other into banshees will be shocked at this I'm sure. I gave her plenty of fuel too, spent far too much on clothes, was wishy washy about dining arrangements, stayed out late all the time ect but she was lovely to me the whole time-theres some advice for you kids, move thousands of miles away from your parents and you'll get on fine! I got on top with my dad too and brother who has transformed from a nervous playstation geek to a fully fledged indie scenester in the time I've been away! Needless to say I very much enjoyed having someone to disect the latest Test Icicles album and discuss if dunlop trainers are still cool with. Although I suspect he's way cooler than me nowadays-knows more about obscure bands and has far more success with the opposite sex. Bah. The student has becone the teacher.
Partying with my old muckers was a joy from start to finish with boyfriend trauma, family dramas, work stories, gossip and dodgy dancing galore. I was made aware that for the last 5 years (uni and JET) I've been surrounded with people who have the same living and easy going lifestyle arrangements than me which equals lots of time talking about lectures/school and going out/watching crap tv/generally being lazy. My friends who have their own flat/serious relationship/stressful job made me feel at times like a very lucky hedonist with a glamerous international life but at other times like a small girl who's still trying to be 18. I don't think I'm ready for that kind of grown up life by a long way even though it does have its charms by the looks of it. For the most part they havent changed though. Still the funny, understanding, spontaneous people I met at school/college/pub. Yea.

2 Comments:

At 7:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah bless...you sounded like Enid Blyton! x

 
At 10:44 am, Blogger Kat said...

enid blyton? theres no mention of small children in button boots frolicing with string, what are you on about?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home