Stumbleina

Traumas, Tribulations, Travels and Tomfoolery Down Under

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Dear Katastrophe Waitress

New JobI was hoping I'd never have to be a food slave ever again but it seems like the obvious option seenas I'm only in Sydney another month before Sarah-chan gets here and we enbark on a ranpage of Aus.
Last week, armed with a folder of Cvs and a clean shirt I set off looking for a new job. It didn't take long. I saw "waitress wanted" scrawled in a bit of ripped paper on the window of a restaurant around the corner from where I'm staying and enquired within-they asked if I could start that night, I said yes and wallah! I have a job! I was expecting it to be hectic and annoying but actually I love it!
Its in a small Italian cafe. Reasons why my job rocks are as follows:
~ It has 9 tables which means I always know whats going on order-wise and I can chat to people easily. A lovely change from 200 at a time in my old hotel job.
~ The place is run by a lovely Armenian family who are sweet, funny and great cooks.
~ The food is fresh, varied, cheap and unpretentious. I get to eat mistakes. It's damn good.
~ Its cash in hand and way more per hour than I'd make back home.
~ MTV is on all the time. This is kind of a mixed blessing as I can watch Jessica Simpson, Shakira, Pussycat Dolls and Nelly Futardo only a certain amount of times before I want to stab myself in the neck. However! They let me change it to a VH1 type channel last night and I was entertained by "Top 100 rock songs of the 90s" last night. Yosh.
~ The people who come in are-at worst a bit rude but at best entertaining, funny and full of reccomendations of things to do in Sydney. They ask about my acccent. I make them guess. Its a game that hasn't got old yet.
~ Theres a few regulars that are real characters. One women is absolutely gorgeus-6foot tall, long blonde hair-she told me she used to be a model in the 60s she doesn't look a day over 40. She is in the midst of getting a new place after being thrown out by her family. She tells me super personal stuff quite willingly. She's a delight.
~ A cute Japanese girl works in the kitchen so I can chat about J-land with her and practise my J-go too. Yea.
~ The other waitresses are entertaining characters too-an over confident Canadian girl and a cute confident 17 year old Aussie. Strange how quickly you make freinds when you rely on each other.

6 Comments:

At 3:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god Kat... I remember your waitressing skills at the Hartshead...may God have mercy on Sydney! Much love sista from a different mista x

 
At 8:07 am, Blogger J-girl said...

Sounds like the fun continues! Can't wait til you post some juicy stuff. ^_^

 
At 3:54 pm, Blogger . said...

Heya! Howsit going? What part of Sydney you living in? Am having a quiet weekend at home of reflection. Fancy that? ;)

 
At 11:00 am, Blogger Kat said...

spam-i've improved since then. i work much better without a salmon pink calf length skirt
j-girl- love the blinking kuromi!!!
and stephu-i'm in kirribilli or sillybilly as i like to call it, its lush. you having a quiet weekend? does that mean you only end up in intensive care once? ^_~

 
At 8:43 am, Blogger Turning Japanese said...

That is so cool. Sounds just the right place for you and the cash in hand thing is fab! Can't wait to see you in November!

 
At 9:59 am, Blogger . said...

Say hi to Johnny Howard for me!
No i didn't end up in critical care but I did drink a carton of beer and a bottle of scotch over the weekend. Real bloody shame about Steve Irwin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home