Stumbleina

Traumas, Tribulations, Travels and Tomfoolery Down Under

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

People Are Strange

...like seriously.

My waitressing (i use this term loosely) has enabled me to meet quite a random mix of Sydneyites. Well, I use that term loosely too not only beacuse i'm not sure if it's a real word but also because I am beginning to wonder if there is actually any Australian people in Sydney-every 5th person is painfully British for a start.

My favourite character by far is the ex-model I metioned in an earlier post. She's had an incredible life and seem to find everything "wonderful" and "astonishing"...apart from her train wreck marriage and estrangement from her kids that is. Strange that she told me all about her personal dramas then after informing me that she had a new job, added "I won't tell you what it is yet luv, some things you have to keep to yourself." And that secret affair story you told to a waitress you don't know from adam is normal sharing then...?

Another regular is a trendy mum who works in TV and is often with a hip friend for lunch (with a heavy side order of alcohol) and her daughter, a 5 year old really cute and sweet little girl with impeccable manners. I ususally can't stand kids that talk crap to you, obviously used to receiveing a enthralled audience from their doting parents but this one is actually a gem. After congratulating this women on raising such a freindly and pleasant kid she told me she loved the restaurant but had issues with the owner as he once nastily told her to leave "the fucking rude prick" she asserted in full hearing range of her daughter. Mother of the year status in my eyes revoked.

A group of 3 came in late the other night and had me in hysterics. They were still in their work clothes and i guessed they had been out on the lash after they greeted me with bright eyes and slurred words. My suspicions of sozzlement were confirmed when the girl in the party knocked the salt, pepper, table number and candle clean off the table in one limb flailing swoop. one of the guys then asked me to get her some water while he went for some more wine. Sensible. They were pretty funny chatting with the kind of volume, honesty and conviction that only comes with being absolutely out of your skull drunk. (think Cindi at the pub quiz ~_^) One of them was British and told me he recently proposed to his girlfriend whilst he was throwing up and she passed him a drink of water (romantic!) and that he thinks Sydney is the best city in the world. (insert dodgy cockney accent) "Its got the beaches, the people, the clubs, the scenery, the shops, the resaturants..." actually he may have a point there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home